Tax Prep Help - Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)

Legal Help

VITA is a federal program that helps low- to moderate-income families, those with disabilities, elderly persons, and limited English speakers file their taxes.

Click on this IRS link and enter your zip code to find the location nearest you.

You can also search by location at Wyoming Free Tax Service.

When you go to get help with your taxes, be sure to bring the following:
- Government-issued photo ID
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse, and your dependents (or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) letters)
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and your dependents
- All of your household's 2017 income forms (W-2s, 1099s, W-2Gs, etc.)
- You and your family's 1095s (Health Insurance Marketplace Statements), if any
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificates, if any
- Last year's tax return, if available
- If you want direct deposit, proof of bank account routing and account numbers (such as a blank check)
- Receipts for childcare and the childcare provider's tax ID number (SSN or EEIN)
- Copies of any income transcripts from the IRS and state, if any
NOTE: Both spouses must be present to jointly file taxes electronically

Be aware that many locations require appointments or only operate during limited days/hours, and not all locations have bilingual assistance. It's always a good idea to call ahead!