Find a Lawyer

You May Qualify for Free Legal Aid

Low-income, Wyoming residents may qualify for free civil legal aid.

You can submit legal questions to the Wyoming Free Legal Answers online clinic portal. Users create an account and submit legal questions which will be answered by volunteer Wyoming attorneys. You must have an email account that you check regularly to activate and receive notifications that the attorney has communicated with you.

You can also call Wyoming's statewide legal hotline for information and to find out if you qualify for legal help and assistance, toll-free:


Monday through Friday, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

The legal aid hotline is provided by Legal Aid of Wyoming, Inc., and is funded by a grant from Equal Justice Wyoming.

NOTE: Legal Aid of Wyoming does not provide legal services in criminal, traffic or juvenile delinquency cases. If you are facing criminal charges or a juvenile delinquency case and cannot afford an attorney, you may contact the State Public Defenders Office at (307) 777-7519, or find your local public defender’s office.

Additional Providers

More legal aid providers in Wyoming:

For Wyoming victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and their children:

For residents in the Jackson and Teton County area:

University of Wyoming Legal Clinics:

Wyoming Children’s Law Center, Inc. - (307) 632-3614

  • Wyoming Children’s Law Center, Inc. focuses on legal matters that affect the health, education, safety or well-being of a child or adult with disabilities. Types of legal services include: education issues like suspension, expulsion or special education services; helping youth and vulnerable adults gain access to necessary services, resolving child custody disputes, court ordered mediation, acting as guardian ad litem for a minor child, guardianships, and supervised visitations. Please call to see how we may help you.

If You Don't Qualify

Self-Help Resources

  • Equal Justice Wyoming's Self-Help Center is located in the Hathaway Building, Room 155, 2300 Capitol Ave, Cheyenne, WY and is open from 1:00-4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday. Self-represented litigants can use computer kiosks to prepare court documents, research legal issues, and learn about other legal services resources.
  • The Teton County Access to Justice Center Self-Help facilities are available in the Teton County Law Library, 185 South Willow St., Lower Level, Jackson, WY from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Reference assistance in legal resources is available from 1:00-5:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday.
  • Elsewhere on this website is information and court forms on various civil legal topics and a calendar of events throughout Wyoming. These events include clinics and reference attorneys.

Modest Means Program - (307) 432-2107

  • The Wyoming State Bar's Modest Means Program (MPP) is a reduced fee referral program designed to make legal services accessible to lower and moderate income people who are ineligible for legal aid. Participating attorneys agree to charge no more than a $500 retainer and $75 per hour. Filing fees and other out-of-pocket costs must be paid by the client. Click here to access the application.

Statewide Lawyer Referral Service - (307) 632-9061

  • If you do not qualify for free or reduced legal services, the Wyoming State Bar has a Lawyer Referral Service which can refer you to an attorney who may be able to assist you with your problem. Click here to search the State Bar referral database online.

Limited Scope Representation

  • Limited Scope Representation is a way for lawyers to provide some services to clients who are limited in what they can afford. Click here to learn more.

Other Organizations That May Be Able To Help You With Specific Issues

Safehouse Services - Confidential 24 hour Crisis Line - (307) 637-7233

  • Safehouse is a private, not-for-profit organization which provides services to victims or survivors of domestic violence, stalking, and sexual assault. Safehouse operates a shelter for persons who are in a violent or potentially violent environment. It is a residential center designed to provide a comprehensive set of services for these victims and their children.

Wyoming Attorney General’s Office – Consumer Protection and Antitrust Unit - (307) 777-7841

  • Consumer and Telephone Complaint Forms can be found at this site. In addition, information regarding the Wyoming Consumer Protection Act and the National Mortgage Settlement are located on the site.

Protection & Advocacy System, Inc. - (307) 632-3496 or Toll free: 1-800-624-7648

    • Protection & Advocacy System, Inc. (“P&A”) is a nonprofit corporation authorized by Congress to implement several federal laws to protect the human, civil and legal rights of people with disabilities. P&A has federal authority to gain access to facilities, records, and persons to investigate allegations of abuse and neglect. P&A also helps people obtain state and federally funded services, such as vocational rehabilitation, mental health, intellectual, traumatic brain injury, assistive technology devices and services, other disability services, voting rights, and access to facilities and programs. P&A focuses on civil rights and discrimination issues. P&A promotes systemic change to enhance quality of life for children and adults with disabilities. P&A provides legal representation and individual advocacy, education and training, including help with self-advocacy skills, and information and referral services.
    • NOTE: May be limitations per policy on case acceptance.
    • IMPORTANT: Even if otherwise eligible, if potential client or other representative has already initiated a hearing before an administrative or judicial tribunal, P&A is precluded from assisting.

    American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) - (212) 549-2500

    • The ACLU is able to provide legal representation in a limited number of civil liberties cases. If you are interested in requesting legal assistance from the ACLU, please read information on the kinds of cases they accept on their website. 

    Department of Employment – Labor Standards - (307) 777-7261

    • The Wyoming Department of Workforce Services' Labor Standards Office enforces all labor laws created for the protection of Wyoming workers.

    Child Support Enforcement - (307) 777-6948

    • Child Support Enforcement uses contract and county field offices along with state personnel to find parents, establish paternity, establish child support and medical support orders, enforce child support and medical support orders and modify existing orders. We also receive and disburse child support payments. CSE serves any person who fills out an application and pays a $25 application fee, and services are not based on income. In addition, CSE receives case referrals when folks apply for public assistance or parents have a child in the custody of DFS.

    Department of Family Services

    • Family Services Division - (307) 777-6101
      • Includes economic assistance consisting of the following programs:
      • Cash Assistance (POWER)
      • Centsible Nutrition
      • Child Care and Early Childhood
      • Emergency Food Assistance (TEFAP)
      • Low Income Energy Assistance (LIEAP
      • Equality Care/Medicaid
      • Food Assistance (SNAP)
      • Telephone Assistance
      • Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
      • Weatherization Assistance (WAP)
      • Economic Assistance Staff, help people by determining eligibility for food assistance (SNAP or Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program), health care (EqualityCare/Medicaid) and home heating (LIEAP or Low Income Energy Assistance Program). We also help people with dependent children with employment opportunities through a program called Personal Opportunities With Employment Responsibilities (POWER) and help needy families achieve self-sufficiency through a program called Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF). We connect people and health care benefits such as EqualityCare/Medicaid and WIC (a nutrition program for young children, pregnant and breast feeding women), programs administered through the Wyoming Department of Health.
    • Child Care - (307) 777-7564
      • The Wyoming Department of Family Services is responsible for licensing child care facilities and serves as the lead agency for the federal Child Care and Development Block Grant.
    • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) - (307) 777-6786
      • The cornerstone of the federal food assistance program, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) provides crucial support to needy households and to those moving from welfare to work. SNAP benefits are distributed electronically through the Wyoming Card. SNAP supports better nutrition for low-income households.
    • Child Protective Services - (307) 777-7921
      • Child Protective Services is the work done in the interests of children to preserve families whenever possible and prevent abuse and neglect.