Help Paying for Housing Costs

State Property Tax Assistance

All Wyoming counties through the county treasurer will give a property tax refund of up to one-half of the prior year’s property tax. The Wyoming Department of Health provides annual tax refunds to individuals 65 and over or residents with disabilities.

Who can apply?

Income and resource limits vary by county. You must have been a Wyoming resident for at least five years to qualify for the annual tax refund.

How do I apply?

Contact your county treasurer for information. You can also visit the Wyoming Department of Revenue website or call 307-777-7320.

Telephone Assistance (Link Up or Lifeline)

The program helps pay for the cost of basic local telephone services.

Who can apply?

Qualified low-income older adults. You are automatically eligible if you are in one of the following programs:

  • Medicaid
  • Supplemental Security Income(SSI)
  • Federal Housing Assistance/Section 8 Programs
  • Food Stamps
  • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Programs
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) General Assistance, and
  • Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF).

How do I apply?

Call your local phone company and tell the sales department that you want to apply for Link Up or Lifeline.

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program

The Wyoming Department of Family Services (DFS) administers the Heating Assistance or Low Income Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP). Benefits are based on household size, household income and the type of fuel used as the primary heating source. Payments are made directly to the fuel provider. Crisis Assistance payments are available to eligible clients who are facing an emergency situation: A life or health threatening situation, deposit funds for a fuel hook-up or to avoid a shut-off, or a heating system failure during winter months are considered crisis situations. LIEAP is a Federal emergency assistance block grant funded by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.

LIEAP is paid for the months of November through May. Applications are accepted beginning the first working day in October through the last working day of February of the program year. To apply for Crisis Assistance you must FIRST complete the LIEAP Application and then complete the additional Crisis Application. Who can apply?


Wyoming Weatherization Assistance Program

The Wyoming Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) provides funds to the States to assist with the weatherization of the homes of low-income elderly and disabled adults and families. Applicants must meet low-income eligibility guidelines based on established Federal poverty guidelines. Activities include: insulation, storm windows, caulking, and other related activities to reduce home energy costs and increase home energy efficiency.


Fill out the "Benefit Finder" questionnaire to see if you qualify for any benefit programs

Contact your local Wyoming Department of Family Services